Formula 1

Williams hopeful de Vries to drive third 2022 F1 car in Monza FP1

by Josh Suttill
3 min read

Nyck de Vries will drive for a third different Formula 1 team in 2022 when he replaces Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin during opening practice at the Italian Grand Prix.

Last year’s Formula E champion made his F1 grand prix weekend debut earlier this year with Williams at the Spanish GP before taking part in FP1 at the French GP in place of Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes.

De Vries is serving as Mercedes’ reserve driver and the 2019 Formula 2 champion is targeting a long-awaited step onto the F1 grid in 2023 – with replacing Nicholas Latifi at Williams his best opportunity.

Motor Racing Formula One World Championship Spanish Grand Prix Practice Day Barcelona, Spain

“I think Nyck did a fantastic job in FP1 [in Barcelona],” Williams team boss Jost Capito said when asked about de Vries at the Dutch GP.

“And through last year since we work with him he also became a friend. So I have a very good relationship and I believe he deserves to be in Formula 1. If he gets one or not. I don’t know.”

De Vries has completed simulator work for Aston Martin as its Silverstone base prior to his FP1 outing at Monza.

“I am really looking forward to driving for Aston Martin, particularly at such a legendary circuit as Monza,” de Vries said.

“It will be my third FP1 session of the season, and in the third different Formula 1 chassis, and these opportunities have given me a fantastic insight into how Formula 1 cars and teams function and operate.

“I hope I can bring a fresh perspective to the Aston Martin F1 team and can undertake a run-programme that proves beneficial to us both.”

Motor Racing Formula One World Championship Dutch Grand Prix Qualifying Day Zandvoort, Netherlands

From 2022, F1 teams are obliged to run a young driver in at least two FP1 sessions this season.

Nico Hulkenberg is Aston Martin’s reserve driver but his F1 experience makes him ineligible, while the team doesn’t have any junior drivers on its books.

“We are delighted to welcome Nyck to our team, and we look forward to working with him at Monza,” Aston Martin team boss Mike Krack said.

“I have watched Nyck’s career with great interest. His achievements show that he clearly deserves a shot at Formula 1 – and, hopefully, this opportunity to get behind the wheel of the AMR22 will allow him to showcase his abilities to the wider world.”

The team is yet to confirm which young driver will drive in the other FP1 session later this year.

Aston’s announcement leaves Alpine, Ferrari, McLaren, Haas and Alfa Romeo as the four teams yet to announce their young driver FP1 plans this year.

De Vries isn’t the first non-full-time driver to be confirmed as partaking in this Friday’s FP1 as ex-Alfa Romeo F1 driver Antonio Giovinazzi will drive for Haas.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • More Networks