Formula 1's engine manufacturers will vote next week on a mid-season introduction of an additional compression ratio test to bring an end to the ongoing technical controversy, The Race can reveal.
Following weeks of discussion between the FIA and manufacturers over the potential loophole that Mercedes has found in the regulations regarding compression ratios, it is understood that a final resolution is now on the horizon.
Sources revealed to The Race that an e-vote has been put forward by the FIA to members of the Power Unit Advisory Committee (PUAC) for revised testing procedures surrounding the 16:1 limit to be implemented this year.
The FIA later confirmed this with the following statement.
"Over recent weeks and months, the FIA and the power unit manufacturers have collaboratively developed a methodology to quantify how the compression ratio changes from ambient to operating conditions," an FIA statement read.
"Following validation of this approach, a proposal has been submitted whereby, from 1 August 2026, compliance with the compression ratio limit must be demonstrated not only at ambient conditions, but also at a representative operating temperature of 130°C.
"The vote has been submitted to the Power Unit Manufacturers, and its outcome is expected within the next 10 days and will be communicated in due course.
"As with all Formula 1 regulatory changes, any amendment remains subject to final approval by the FIA World Motor Sport Council."
Sources claim that feedback for the e-vote has been requested by the end of this week, with the deadline for votes being slotted in for next Tuesday.
It is understood that this e-vote scenario is what Williams team boss James Vowles was referring to when he suggested on Wednesday that the compression ratio controversy would soon be sorted.
“There will be a resolution,” he said. “Frankly, it will go away probably over the next 48 hours, is my guess.”
For the addition of the extra hot test to be implemented for August, it will need to secure a super-majority within the PUAC – which requires support from four of the five manufacturers, plus the FIA and FOM.
With Ferrari, Audi, Honda and Red Bull all seeming to be eager to implement some form of hot test, their backing does seem likely.
Key then to it passing is what the FIA and FOM prefer, but the existence of the new rule proposal in the first place would suggest that the governing body feels it is important enough to act upon.
So it would be logical to suggest that it would approve the implementation of the new test procedure if the majority of manufacturers supported it.
It is not clear how representative a new 130C test will be compared to full operating conditions.
However, anything that clarifies what teams can and cannot do with regards to the compression ratios will likely be welcomed by Mercedes’ rivals.
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies said in Bahrain on Wednesday that key for his operation was to get a clear answer on the rules.
“We don't really mind if the regs goes left or if the regs goes right,” he said. “What we absolutely want is clarity on what we can do and what we cannot do,
"That's what we are working with the FIA and the other power unit manufacturers to have this absolute clarity. I'm confident that we will reach that point.”
It is not clear if any new hot test procedure will require any modifications to the Mercedes power unit to comply fully.
However, whatever the outcome of the e-vote, it means Mercedes will be able to start the campaign with a green light to continue running based on the current compliance checks that are conducted at ambient temperatures.
Any early talk of rivals wanting to take the matter to a protest has also faded away, with Ferrari last week ruling out a protest being lodged at the Australian Grand Prix.
Ferrari team boss Fred Vasseur has a similar view to Mekies, in that key for him is getting an answer on what is and is not allowed.
“We are not there to make a protest,” he said. “We are there to have a clear regulation and to have everybody with the same understanding of the regulations. But [we] don't speak about protest.”
Clarity over the test procedures coming in for August would also allow its rivals to potentially work on designs themselves that exploit the compression ratio limit.
The Race has learned that, with the compression ratio matter being one that involves the manufacturers rather than teams, it was not discussed in Wednesday’s F1 Commission meeting.